What is recovery like after breast revision?
- This procedure is performed on an outpatient basis. You will be allowed to return home soon after surgery, when the anesthesia wears off. Because of the anesthesia, you will need to arrange to have someone to drive you home.
- You may be instructed to wear a special bra 24/7 for the first several weeks after surgery to protect and support your breast tissue during the healing process.
- You can expect to experience mild to moderate pain and discomfort, which may be controlled with medications.
- Dr. Brzowski will instruct you on limiting certain activities for the first few weeks after breast revision, including lifting and strenuous exercise.
- Most patients are ready to return to work within two weeks after the procedure.
What are the most common reasons for breast revision?
Women have breast revision because of complications that develop following breast implant surgery, or because they are dissatisfied with their aesthetic results. Common reasons for breast revision include:
- Implant rupture or deflation: Breast implants are designed to be durable, but they will not last forever.
- Capsular contracture: When the scar tissue capsule around an implant begins to tighten and contract, it can force the implant into an unnatural-looking position and cause it to become hard.
- Malposition of implant: When the pocket that holds the implant is too large, the implant may drift out of position.
- Desired change in breast size or implant type: Many women have breast revision because they want to go larger or smaller, or they want a different type of implant to better achieve their aesthetic goals.